As I watched you get on the bus that morning I realized it was definitely harder on me than you. On the previous day Bowen was throwing an absolute fit about having to take a sweatshirt to school and wear pants with shorts on underneath. We had talked many times before about "our" rules as well as what the "school" rules were for wearing shorts and coats and had even wrote out our rules on a piece of paper. So everything was very clear. He also knew the consequence was riding the bus the next day if he continued to throw a fit, normally he gets a ride with the neighbor. Well after I had gave him one too many warnings I finally couldn't take it anymore and told him he was riding the bus on the next day. I knew he would worry about it all day and night so I said it once and then did not talk about it again. And sure enough right before bed time it all came out. He was asking multiple questions about it and whining nonstop about not wanting to ride the bus and how he wouldn't complain anymore about having to wear pants! I knew he had himself so worked up about riding the bus that he couldn't sleep, but did my best to let him hash it out and finally fall asleep. The next morning came, he got himself up, dressed, did fairly well with getting everything ready and was very hesitant but did make it out to the bus on time. As I watched him worriedly walk to the bus I wanted to yell at him and call him back and tell him it was okay he could ride with the neighbor, but I knew we had come this far there was NO way I was doing that. In his eyes I was the meanest mom that day, but in my eyes that fearful boy grew a little stronger and hopefully, one day will look back and realize it wasn't that bad. I also hope someday, and it might not be until he has his own kids but hopefully someday he will realize that it's actually way harder for us than it was him!
No comments:
Post a Comment