Sunday, July 27, 2014

Are You Serious?!



“Are you Serious?” “Are they Serious?” Are you serious?” Was the reaction my husband, Steve gave when he found out we were having twins! I went in for a routine check at 17 weeks and knew something was off, but wasn’t quite sure what it was.  I dreamed and felt like it was twins, but seriously what do I know?  And seriously when do dreams come true?   Apparently when you have a mother’s instinct go with it…chances are you are right!  I went by myself since it was just a routine checkup and when the nurse took me back she asked how I was doing and I of course answered, “I feel HUGE!” and she said you have a long ways to go for feeling that way already.  I stepped on the scale and the 5lbs it said I gained in the last month was definitely helping my case!  I already gained over 10lbs in this pregnancy, which I never gained quite this fast with my other 2 children…but just chalked it up to it being my 3rd pregnancy, because that is what everyone else did.  The nurse was not concerned at all and again just said well this is your third baby (I heard that from EVERYONE!)   After checking my blood pressure and asking the typical “how’s everything been going” questions, she attempted to find the heartbeat.  I already felt the baby move so I knew it was in there.  However, she could not find a heartbeat, so as I am unconsciously holding my breath, because isn’t this what every pregnant woman does until they find that beautiful and unforgettable sound, she finally finds it all the way over almost to my right hip bone and I breathe a sigh of relief (but also curious on why the baby is all the way over there, but again what do I know?)
                After a few minutes of me pondering this, waiting for the Dr. to come in, in walks the intern that is with my Dr.  She says so I heard you are having concerns about your weight and how big you have gotten so we are going to check you out and make sure our due dates are not off.  She does an external check of the placement of my uterus and says we may be off by a few days, and again she makes me believe this is because everything is stretched out because this is MY THIRD BABY!  However, I did mention to her that I had dreams that I was pregnant with twins.  (I am pretty sure she thought I was nuts!)  Finally the Dr. comes in, does the same check and says yes I think you are measuring a little bit bigger, we will send you in for an ultra sound just to double check everything and since you had dreams make sure there isn’t one hiding somewhere!  WHOA….things are going to get real real fast and I am not sure I am ready to find out whether I am just going to have a HUGE baby or whether my dreams are about to come true.  I decided this would be a good time to call Steve and see where he was (he was driving home from work and has to pass the exit for the clinic on his way home).  I told him they were sending me in for an ultrasound and he may want to stop on his way home and “see” our baby! 
                They call me back and at this time I am starting to shake with nerves and excitement…1.)I get to see our baby for the first time (always, always an extremely cool experience)  2.) I get to see why the heck I feel so big!  And 3.) Steve is still not there, so I am getting nervous he is going to miss it.  I pull my shirt up and she puts the ooey gooey gel on my belly as I am staring at the screen I hear the ultrasound tech make a hmmmm sound and wonder what the heck that was for since I clearly see ONE baby on the screen.  As I am taking in the sight of my baby, the ultra sound tech starts talking about how everything looked good and she would come back to get more measurement on this baby and as she moves across my belly and says, Now lets take a look at your 2nd baby…Congratulations you have TWINS!!!!!  I was SPEECHLESS!!!!   Every emotion you can feel falls over you all at once.  Then there is a knock at the door…oh shoot I just realized Steve doesn’t know yet!!!  He sits down next to me and can clearly see a baby on the screen and thinks to himself (he told me this later) so Abby was wrong there is only one baby.  So as the ultrasound tech is showing him the baby and I am stupidly grinning from ear to ear because I didn’t know what else to do she says to him well here is your baby…AND here is your SURPRISE, (moving the camera over to show baby #2).  You are having TWINS...Happy Late Father's Day!  He had a complete rush of adrenaline pass through him and says to the tech “Are you Serious?” then to me “Are they Serious?” and then back to her “Are you serious?”  “Wow, I can’t believe this!”  Then a little while later as we are watching our babies on the screen together he says out of the blue, “there’s no way 4 car seats are going to fit in the Trailblazer!”  A typical man thought! 
The feeling you have when they first tell you Congratulations you are having twins is one that I will hopefully never forget!  It is something packed with so much emotion, so much adrenaline, and is just indescribable and very difficult to put into words.  For me, I was on an emotional roller coaster the rest of my pregnancy…one minute overjoyed and the next  minute scared to death!!!  And so begins my pregnancy with twins…

No comments:

Post a Comment