Monday, November 3, 2014

Labor- Part 2

Cambell Ann

 Cruz Donald (action shot of him peeing!)

Cambell Ann 6lbs 0.9oz

Cruz Donald 6lbs 7.8oz

Cambell Ann- Baby A

Cruz Donald- Baby B

Mommy holding them both for the first time!!

Daddy holding them both for the first time!!

It was very cool in the OR room...at least at first...then I started getting really light headed and thought I was going to pass out!  I was laying flat on my back and we were waiting for the Anesthesiologist to get there, which was going to take 5 minutes or so.  The doctor was telling people to get the bed turned so I was not flat on my back.  They were doing the best they could, one nurse had to fan me, another had to get a cold wash rag.  Then all of a sudden the anesthesiologist came in and I pushed ONE time and out came Baby A, IT's A GIRL: Cambell Ann was born at 5:20 pm!!!!  Cambell was 6 lbs, 0.9oz and 19 1/4 in. long.  Dr. Rellihan QUICKLY passed her on to the NICU nurse (she was doing fine) and started searching for Baby B.  She literally was up "there" all the way up to her elbow, searching for a foot!!  She already had one in her hand, but needed both so she could successfully pull him out.  Baby B was basically doing the splits.  Dr. Rellihan kept grabbing a hand, but could not find the other foot!  She also was doing this all while the baby was still in the sac because if she would have broke my water we would have had to do an emergency c section. Thankfully I had an epidural and Cambell to look at.  However, one of my BIGGEST fears this whole pregnancy was about to come true!  I was going to have to have an emergency C section along with having a vaginal birth!!!  TWO ways of recovery, NOT at all what I hoped for!!!!!  I started praying like crazy!  I prayed to God and Grandpa that she would find Baby B's other foot!!!!  It seemed like an eternity!  Dr. Rellihan was getting frustrated and acted like she was going to give up and then....finally, FINALLY she found the other foot, grabbed, I pushed 2 times, and she pulled!  And 3 MINUTES later Baby B, A BOY: Cruz Donald was born at 5:23 pm!!!  Cruz was 6lbs, 7.8oz and 19 inches long.  It seemed like A LOT longer than 3 minutes, but I was SO THANKFUL and still am SO THANKFUL that I was able to deliver both babies vaginally!!!!!  Because Cruz came out feet first he never got the "squeeze" that babies need to get all that "junk" out of their lungs, so he was wheezing when he came out.  Both babies were taken to the NICU to be checked out.  The Grandparents ALL got to see them before they were wheeled away.  Becky of course cried. :-)   I was "cleaned"/stitched up and returned to my room without my babies.  This was entirely new to me, since I delivered in the same room that I slept with the boys and they never left my side until we sent them to the nursery and let me tell you it is NOT fun not being able to hold and/or see your babies!!  Steve came with me and then I sent him down to the NICU to check on our babies.  Cambell was having troubles regulating her body temperature and Cruz was still having troubles keeping his lungs open all the way.  He was breathing on his own but was not opening his lungs up all the way, which was why he eventually got put on the CPAP to force him to keep his lungs open.
In order for me to see my babies I had to be able to lift both legs.  My epidural wore off on the right side fairly quickly and I was lifting that leg no problem.  However, the left side took a LOT of determination to get off the bed.  The nurse was very surprised on how well and how quickly I was doing and moving around...but when you have a reason it is amazing how much strength you have.  Almost 2 hrs and 20 minutes later I was in the NICU holding my babies!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment